Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Heat



Again it’s a hot Tuesday in the Okanagan, but not hot enough to keep us inside this week.  One of the women I bike with lives in Armstrong, a small town north east of Vernon.  We met at her place about 8:45am this morning because her car has broken down so she couldn’t join us anywhere else.  We biked from there.  As usual we did about 35 km on rolling back roads.  My arm has improved so much that I’m sure I could handle more difficult rides now, but I really enjoy the company of this group of women and I don’t have to get myself strong for the fall bike trip this year because it’s in Sept., when I will be in Korea.  Armstrong is in a beautiful wide valley.  The roads are paved and roll through fields of corn, hay, grains I don’t know the names of, market gardens and even huge herb gardens.  At one point, the smell of oregano combined with that of the clover on the side of the road to create a perfume that made me want to breath deeply and never stop.  Of course we passed through other less pleasant country smells too, especially at the point where a farmer was spraying liquid manure on his fields using an irrigation sprinkler that shot the putrid yellowish stuff in a vast circle.

 Miriam and I are going to go for a swim at Jane’s again later today.  The water in Lake Okanagan is really warm; Jane didn’t think so last week, but Miriam and I swam for quite a long time.  The only time you felt cold water was if you dove deep. 

I walked down to the Town Theatre last evening to watch ‘Love is all you need’ with Pierce Brosnan.  He was certainly better in it than he was in ‘Mama Mia’.  I looked up the movie when I got home and discovered that the title in Danish is ‘The Bald Hairdresser’.   The actress, Trine Dyrholm who played the hairdresser was excellent, and the two titles together give an idea of the jumble of romantic jocoseriousness to expect.

The lazy, hazy, not much of the crazy left, days of summer are here.  I look forward to visiting mom, dad, Barbara and Terry next week in Victoria.

Otter Lake near Armstrong

Otter Lake

Resting under a willow on the shore of Otter Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment