Monday, May 22, 2017

Just Jen

I'm sitting in Kelowna Motors' waiting room, waiting for the front breaks to be replaced on the car. This last trip to Victoria brought the mileage to almost 92,000 km. The other ongoing waits are the house and the knee. The tile work is done and the knee works on stairs now but not without a noticeable limp. I'm learning to keep laughing through muddles that are beyond my control without expecting much since what's asked of me isn't much either.








This is the promotional poster for Jen's book. Jen is the daughter of Mo's friend. She is currently on a tour promoting her book. As a bonus, she's visiting friends she hasn't been with in a while and some places in Canada she's always wanted to see. I read and really enjoyed her book. It is a well written presentation of herself and the tenacity and humour that have been required to enable her to not just survive but thrive through Multiple Sclerosis. As Mo was her host in Vernon, I was in her company a few times. She has the most lively and expressive eyes and refuses to let a conversation be boring. In spite of the fact that she can hardly make herself heard and is a quadriplegic, she continues to work and look for laughs and love. She has a boyfriend,Tom. In one of the last sections of the book she writes:
" Tom hugged me harder.
He continues to hug me.
I know I don't want to ask a doctor to kill me. There is always the possibility of another kiss."





No comments:

Post a Comment